Baccalaureate AQA at Balcarras School
The AQA Baccalaureate is available to all students at Balcarras, alongside their A-level studies. Universities and employers increasingly see it both as a recognition of academic excellence and an indication that students are well-rounded, active individuals. The qualification is overseen by the AQA examination board and is suited to students who are strong academically and also participate in a number of events and activities beyond the prescribed curriculum. As this describes the majority of our students, we feel it is a perfect match for their aspirations.
In order to gain the Baccalaureate, all students must complete the following requirements:
- Three subjects to A2-level (not including general studies)
- General studies to AS-level
- An extended project in an area chosen by the student
- One hundred hours of enrichment activities
The Baccalaureate will be awarded in the following classifications:
- Pass (if the lowest A2 grade is an E or a D)
- Merit (if the lowest A2 grade is a C or a B)
- Distinction (if the lowest A2 grade is an A or an A*)
All students will record their enrichment activities throughout Year 12. In order to qualify for the Baccalaureate, students must have completed at least 100 hours of activities in the areas:
- Work-Related Learning
- Community Participation
- Personal Development Activities
Students will keep an up-to-date electronic Enrichment Diary, which will be monitored by their tutor.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Balcarras School directly.