Physical Education at Dereham Sixth Form College
Sport is a huge and important part of our society both economically and in terms of people’s health and fitness. The study of Physical Education in becoming increasingly important as the Sport industry continues to grow each year.
The Physical Education course develops students’ interest in sport from both a practical and theoretical viewpoint. It looks at contemporary topics, from the
development of technology in sport to its continuing commercialisation as an industry. Students are able to develop their interest in particular sports through
performance, officiating and coaching.
The Physical Education department has a broad range of expertise in differing sports and continues to attract large numbers of students each year.
We follow the AQA specification. A course that provides an excellent broad introduction to Physical Education.
- Opportunities for and the effects of leading a
healthy and active lifestyle.
- The physiology of adopting a healthy lifestyle;
short and long term effects of exercise; analysis of
- Acquisition of skill and the psychology of sport.
- Opportunities for physical activity, the benefits to the individual and society and barriers to minority groups.
- Analysis and evaluation of physical education.
- The execution of skills in two roles; analysis of
- student’s own performance; application of theory to achieve effective performance.
- Optimising performance and evaluating contemporary Issues within sport.
- Energy sources and systems; elite preparation and training; specialised training; sports injuries; psychological theories for optimising performance; world games and their impact; sports technology and its impact; historical development of sport.
- Optimising practical performance; evaluating and identifying weaknesses and suggest corrective measures
A*-B in PE GCSE or minimum Merit if BTEC studied.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Dereham Sixth Form College directly.