German A Level at Heanor Gate Science College
In recent years, there has been a huge increase in the number of areas where languages are needed. Studying a Modern Foreign Language will provide you with a wealth of opportunities such as working or studying abroad. You will also be able to add an international dimension to your dream career.
We follow the OCR syllabus for AS and A2 French, German and Spanish. This involves buildin g and extending upon grammatical knowledge already acquired at GCSE within the context of new discussion and topic areas. All topic areas relate to the countries where the particular language is spoken and it is hoped that all students gain a valuable insight into and understanding of the relevant country or countries.
You must have sat least grade B at GCSE in German. You will have a love of languages and must be keen to contribute in class. You must have an excellent knowledge of all the grammatical structures required at GCSE. You will enjoy the academic challenge of translation.
AS Topic Areas
- Daily life in France, Spain or Germany
- Leisure and Entertainment
- Education and Training
- Communication and the Media
- Speaking 30% Two discussion topics.
- Comprehension (reading listening and translation) 37%
- Writing 33%
Key Aspects of AS
- Knowledge and understanding of the culture and society of the countries and communities where the target language is.
- Areas of Study from two broad themes:
- Social issues and trends.
- Political, artistic and intellectual culture.
- Study of a film or a literary work.
- Comprehension 40%
- Speaking 30%
- Writing 40%
Key aspects of A2
As per AS but the study of both a literary text and a film.
For the Speaking unit at A Level
- discussion based on a stimulus card.
- a discussion about a research-based project into an aspect of the target
Languages are useful to ALL careers.
- Accountancy, banking and business
- Translating and Interpreting
- Travel and Tourism
- Marketing, Media and Journalism
- International aid worker.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Heanor Gate Science College directly.