Childcare Apprenticeship at Uxbridge College
This apprenticeship is for people who want to work with children and young people – from birth to 19-yearolds (and their families) in settings or services whose main purpose is children’s care, learning and development. This Apprenticeship helps you gain an understanding into the ‘how’s’ and ‘whys’ of their development. Equally, it ensures candidates put childcare theory into practice.
The Intermediate Level is for those working under supervision such as a nursery assistant or playgroup assistant working with children under five.
The Advanced Level is for those who work on their own initiative, planning and organising their own work and/or supervising others, for example, a nursery nurse, playgroup leader or a childminder working in their own home.
Here are a few examples of the units you may study –
- Introduction to communication in health, social care or children’s and young people’s settings
- Support children and young people’s positive behaviour
- Understand partnership working in services for children and young people.
- Promote equality and inclusion in health, social care or children’s and young people’s settings
- Develop positive relationships with children, young people and others involved in their care
- Context and principles for early years provision.
- Aged 16+
- Working in or interested in child learning and development
- Need to complete a basic skills assessment in literacy and numeracy
- Ability to support the care and learning needs of children and young people
- Potential to develop positive relationships with children, young people and their parents.
Assessments are carried out in your workplace. Our assessor will come and visit you at work every 6-8 weeks and assess you in your job role. Visits usually last around two hours.
There is no cost for you to do an apprenticeship if you are 16-23 years old and you will be paid a wage.
NUS Apprentice extra Card
Apprentices can get discounts at over 120 high street and online retailers, please visit www.apprenticeextra.co.uk for more information.
Apprentice Oyster photocard
Apprentices can get up to 30% discounts on travel within London Borough. For more information, please visit https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/adultdiscounts-and-concessions/apprentice-oysterphotocard
- Further study: If you complete a Level 2 Apprenticeship, you may be able to progress onto Level 3. Apprentices that complete Level 3 may be able to go onto a Higher Apprenticeship (Level 4).
- Job opportunities: Level 2: Early Years worker/assistant, care worker/assistant and assistant youth support & community worker. Level 3: Nursery worker/supervisor, childminder, nursery nurse / nursery teaching assistant, residential care and special needs support.
Contact our apprenticeships department on
- 01895 853622 / 01895 853333
Please see the frequently asked questions section on the next page for more information!
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Uxbridge College directly.