Uniformed Public Services BTEC Diploma Level 2 at Kingston Maurward College
This one year course is designed to equip learners with the knowledge, understanding and skills required for success when moving towards a career in the uniformed public services.
Concentrating on skills such as communication, personal development, fitness, sport, leadership and outdoor adventure, you will learn about career opportunities within all the public services and gain the skills that could lead to sports fitness, outdoor adventure and public service pathways.
- Improving health and fitness for entry to the uniformed public services
- Employment in the uniformed public services
- Adventurous activities and teamwork for the uniformed public services
- Sport and recreation in the uniformed public services
- Volunteering in the uniformed public services
- Role and work of the uniformed public services
- Carrying out a project in uniformed public services
- Citizenship, society and the uniformed public services
- Crime and its effect on society and individuals
- Employability skills
- Land navigation by map and compass
- Health and fitness
- Sports and recreation
- Work placement
Nationally recognised additional qualifications and there will be an opportunity to gain National Governing Body (NGB) Awards in kayaking and canoeing.
4 GCSEs at grade D or above, including English and maths OR a BTEC Level 1 qualification in Public Services OR an Intermediate GNVQ in an appropriate vocational area Must have a strong interest in outdoor adventure/sport/public services You will be required to complete a work placement.
Courses leading to a qualification are FREE for British citizens, aged under 19 years on 31 August in the academic year you start your course.* However, there may be some additional costs for clothing/kit and trips depending on your course. You can apply to the Bursary Fund for extra help towards the cost of transport, food, equipment or childcare.
Basic stationery - pens, pencils, A4 lever arch folders, ruler and eraser. Suitable outdoor clothing and footwear. Uniform.
It is recommended that applicants set aside approximately £200 for additional NGB training, off-site activities/trips and essential kit. All personal protective equipment (PPE) will be provided. A uniform will also be required which will cost in the region of £50.
Armed forces, Outdoor activity centres, Public service organisations, Sports/leisure centres, Volunteer organisations, Youth leadership Instructor roles.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Kingston Maurward College directly.