Accessibility links

Physical Education AS/A Level (OCR) at Allerton High School Business and Enterprise Specialist School

Course description

A Level Physical Education develops students’ understanding of how people maintain a healthy lifestyle by being physically active.  Students must be actively involved in sport; the specifications will develop and apply skills and techniques effectively as a performer, leader/coach and official within their chosen activities. Students will be able to inform and make decisions on how to be involved in physical activities and how to make the most of opportunities available.

The Course is for you if you have ever had these thoughts:

How can we analyse movements when performing sport skills and techniques?

What happens to your heart and lungs during performance in physical activities?

How do we develop motor skills?

How do we process information?

What are the origins of modern day sport?

What barriers can affect how we participate in sport?

 

 

 

Course content

AS Year 12 and A Level Year 12 (First Year)

Units included are listed below:-

Applied Anatomy and Physiology

Skill Acquisition

Sport and Society

The impact of society on sport and of sport on society

Exercise physiology

Biomechanical Movement

Sport Psychology

Sport and Society and the role of technology in physical activity and sport.

 

A Level Year 13 (Second Year)

Units included are listed below:-

Applied Anatomy and Physiology - energy systems

Skill Acquisition - memory models

Exercise Physiology - injury prevention and rehabilitation of injury

Biomecanical Movement - linear motion, angular motion, projectile motion, fluid mechanics

Sports Psychology - achievement motivation theory, attribution theory, self-efficiacy and confidence, leadership, stress management 

Sport and society and the role of technology in physical activity and sport - concepts of physical activity and sport, development of elite performers in sport, ethics in sport, violence in sport, commercialisation impact.

 

Entry requirements

You should have achieved 5 9-5 or equivalent Grades at GCSE including English and Maths with at least a Grade 5 in Science.  You should also have achieved GCSE PE grade 5 or above or Cambridge National M2 or above and play or coach a sport on a regular basis to a good standard.

Assessment

Assessment

AS Assessment:

Paper 1: 2 hour written paper. Total 84 marks. 70% of AS

AS Non-exam assessment: 15% is assessment as a player/ performer or coach and 15% is a written/verbal analysis of performance. Total 90 marks. 30% of AS.

 

A Level Assessment:

Paper 1 – 2 Hour written paper. Total 105 marks. 35% of A Level

Paper 2 – 2 Hour written paper. Total 105 marks. 35% of A Level

A Level Non-exam assessment: 15% is assessment as a player/ performer or coach and 15% is a written/verbal analysis of performance. Total 90 marks. 30% of A Level.

Future opportunities

If you decide to go to University or College and you have other qualifications, you could take a degree or a BTEC Higher National in subjects such as:

Sport Science

Leisure Management

Physiotherapy

Sports Administration

PE Teaching

or become a Fitness Instructor, Coach or Sports Leader.

Further information

For further information please contact Mrs Sammon at Allerton High School on 0113 2034770.

How to apply

You can apply for this course through UCAS Progress. Add this course to your favourites so you can start making an application.

Last updated date: 02 October 2017
Provider logo

Key information

  • Start date: Next September
  • Duration: 2 Year
  • Number of planned places: 25

Contact details

    • Contact name:
    • Mr B Harding
    • Contact telephone number:
    • 0113 2034770

Venues