Art and Design A Level at Ysgol Gyfun Gymraeg Plasmawr
This is a broad-based course that provides flexibility in content and approach. Learners can choose this option if they want to explore and create work associated with:
- Fine Art
- Critical and Contextual Studies
- Textile Design
- Graphic Communication
- Three-Dimensional Design
This WJEC AS/A level specification in Art & Design is designed to enable learners to gain a sequential and incremental learning experience from a broad introductory foundation of art, craft and design related to option choice at AS, through to greater specialism and achievement at A level. The AS represents the first year of a two year A level qualification but it can be studied separately.
AS UNIT 1
Personal Creative Enquiry – Non–exam assessment
40% of qualification (160marks)
An extended, exploratory portfolio and outcome/s based on themes and subject matter which are personal to the learner. The Enquiry must integrate critical, practical and theoretical work. This work will be assessed holistically,using the assessment objectives. Learners will be required to select,evaluate and present their work for assessment.
A2 Unit 2
Personal Investigation – Non-exam assessment
36% of qualification (160marks)
Consists of two integrated constituent parts:
1. a major in-depth critical, practical and theoretical investigative portfolio and outcome/s based on themes and subject matter that have personal significance.
2. An extended written element of 1000 words minimum, which may contain images and texts and must clearly relate to practical and theoretical work using an appropriate working vocabulary and specialist terminology.
- Both the practical/theoretical work and the written element will be assessed together using the assessment objectives. Learners will be required to select, evaluate and present their work for assessment.
- The Personal Creative Enquiry and Personal Investigation will be determined by the learner and teacher, assessed by the teacher and externally moderated.
A2 Unit 2
Externally Set Assignment Non-exam assessment
24% of qualification (100 marks)
Part 1: Preparatory study period
- The externally set assignment materials are to be released to learners from 1 February (in the second year of the course) and will consist of a series of visual and written stimuli.
- One of the stimuli is to be selected by the learner and used as a starting point from which to elicit a personal response.
- Responses are developed during the preparatory study period. They should take the form of critical, practical and theoretical preparatory work/supporting studies which inform the resolution of ideas in the 15 hours sustained focus study
Part 2: 15 hour period of sustained focus work
- The resolution of learners’ ideas from the preparatory work must be completed during the designated 15 hours and they must show how their planning relates to the outcome/s.
- The period of sustained focus work must be completed under supervised conditions. Both the preparatory work and sustained focus work will be assessed together, using the assessment objectives. Learners will be required to select, evaluate and present their work for assessment. The Externally Set Assignment will be set by WJEC, assessed by the teacher and externally moderated.
This course is suitable, but is not exclusively for pupils who wish to pursue a career in the visual arts or related fields. We encourage our pupils to apply for Foundation course in Art and Design or for degree courses. This is a course that offers a creative challenge for pupils. They will be expected to work regularly at home and within the art rooms developing skills and ideas. A lot of enjoyment and satisfaction may be gained from the practical and creative work with an opportunity to exhibit the highlights of their efforts in the school at the end of the academic year.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Ysgol Gyfun Gymraeg Plasmawr directly.