A Level English Literature at Regent High School
You will study two main topics: ‘Love through the Ages’ and ‘Modern Times’. Each topic will involve the detailed study of four texts and you will be expected to read widely throughout the course. Set texts will include a Shakespeare play, a poetry anthology and a range of novels and plays from different periods. You will also complete an independent critical study comparing two further texts. You will attend masterclasses at UCL and workshops with professional theatre companies and museums in London. You will be taken on theatre trips to watch plays related to the course.
CHOOSE THIS COURSE IF…
- you love reading; the course depends on a wide appreciation of texts
- you want to learn how literature was influenced by socio-historical events
- you appreciate close textual analysis and enjoy exploring details in texts and want to develop critical, debating and interpretive skills
At least 5 A*-C grades at GCSE including English and Maths, with at least a grade B in GCSE English Language and English Literature
A Level is a two year linear course with two written exams (40% of final mark each) and a 2,500 word independent project (20% of final mark).
AS Level is a stand-alone linear qualification assessed by two written exams at the end of Year 12.
- university degrees in English Literature, American Studies, Journalism and many more
- associated degrees in Philosophy, Law and History as well as others
POSSIBLE CAREER OPTIONS
- TV Producer
- PR Assistant
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Regent High School directly.