Health & Social Care (Applied) A level at Lowestoft Sixth Form College
Are you looking for a career in health work or social care?
This course has been designed to give you a broad understanding of Health, Social Care and Early Years working environments. You will develop realistic knowledge, understanding of a very diverse sector and learn the practical skills to help you succeed.
The course is worth two A Levels for the double award and one for the single award.
Topics will include:
- Promoting good health – this will include carrying out a health promotion campaign
- Working in Early Years care and education – visit a local primary school and work with the pupils
- Communication in care settings
- Health and safety in care settings
- Caring for people with additional needs
- Health as a lifestyle choice
- Care practice and provision
- Understanding human behaviour
- Child Development – design, make and market a toy/activity
- Mental health issues
- Research methods in Health and Social Care
- Social trends.
There are also several opportunities throughout the course to enable you to gain valuable work experience to put theory into practice.
You will need to meet the standard college entry criteria for AS/A2 courses.
Students can progress to careers in the health service and social sectors. You could also continue to Higher Education to further your studies and gain employment in areas such as occupational therapy, speech therapy, youth work, podiatry and much more.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Lowestoft Sixth Form College directly.