Public Services Level 2 Diploma at North Hertfordshire College
Our public services courses include lots of opportunities for you to get hands on experience for the world of work, including:
- Work experience with Wethersfield Camp, Stevenage Fire Station and Lee Valley
- Active engagement, visits and experiences with army residential trips and police ride alongs
- The opportunity to become an interviewee as part of Stevenage police detective training
- Working with Hitchin Fire Service to develop their winter drink driving campaign
Our public services courses are the ideal starting place to study the skills required for a career within this wide-ranging and exciting sector. We have designed our courses to give you the widest possible understanding of the duties and demands involved in public services careers. Courses will touch upon the following aspects of the public services:
Uniformed: you’ll study physical preparation (exercise, health and lifestyle) for a career in the uniformed public services, international institutions and human rights, crime and its effect on society, understanding the impact of war, conflict and terrorism, and outdoor water and land-based skills activities.
Criminology: offers the opportunity for you to learn about all factors relating to crime, punishment, justice from criminological theories, the reasons for crime, violence, the penal and legal systems, capital punishment, restorative justice, policing, and community safety.
Non-uniformed: you’ll study citizenship, government policies, leadership and teamwork, extended research, current and media affairs, data interpretation, and use of ICT to enhance public service delivery in order to prepare for careers providing crucial back-up as well as technical and administrative reports to the public services.
Through this course you’ll learn about:
- Public service skills
- Employment in the uniformed public services
- Career planning for the public services
- Improving health and fitness for entry to the uniformed public services
- Sport and recreation in the public services
- Expedition skills in public services
- Volunteering in public services.
- Four GCSEs at grade D or above including maths and English; or,
- Four GSCEs at grade D or above, plus functional skills level 1 maths and English;
- A level 1 qualification in a relevant subject area, passed with a Merit or Distinction grade – plus maths and English GCSE grade D or above, or functional skills level 1 maths and English.
This course is assessed through assignments, projects and two exams. You’ll also sit exams if you’re doing maths or English GCSE or functional skills
Price on application.
There are no tuition fees for students aged 16-18 years.
If you are over 18, please speak to a client advisor.
Possible charges for any trips, visits, materials and uniform if required offered during the year will be independent of the tuition fees or any other student finance. Financial help may be available for these costs, please contact Student Services for more information.
Having successfully completed this course, you’ll be able to progress to:
- Level 3 courses including level 3 extended diploma in public services
- Paid employment in the sector.
Please visit our website for further information - www.nhc.ac.uk
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact North Hertfordshire College directly.