Biology AS & A Level at Cardinal Heenan Catholic High School
A-level Biology is a stepping stone to future study in many Science related subjects like biological sciences, Biochemistry, pharmacy and medicine. The course is delivered to develop the skills that universities want to see.
A Level Biology can and does inspire students nurturing a passion for the subject and laying the groundwork for further study in courses.
Biology is fundamentally an experimental subject. The reformed A level for 2015 will provide numerous opportunities to use practical experiences to link theory to reality, and equip students with the essential practical skills they need.
AS Topics covered:
- Biological molecules
- Organisms exchange substances with their environment
- Genetic information, variation and relationships between organisms
A2 Will comprise of AS topics plus additional 4:
- Energy transfers in and between organisms (A-level only) Organisms respond to changes in their internal and external environments (A-level only)
- Genetics, populations, evolution and ecosystems (A-level only)
- The control of gene expression (A-level only)
GCSE grades A* - C in 5 subjects (to include English and Mathematics). GCSE grade A in Additional Science or Biology.
- Paper 1: Any content from topics 1-4, including relevant practical skills. (2 hours written exam). 35% of A level.
- Paper 2: Any content from topics 1-4, including relevant practical skills. (2 hours written exam). 35% of A level.
- Paper 3: Any content from topics 1 – 8, including relevant practical skills and a 25 marks essay (2 hours written exam). 30% of A level.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Cardinal Heenan Catholic High School directly.