Further Mathematics A Level at Alderman White School and Language College
- Further Mathematics is an AS/A level qualification which both broadens and deepens the mathematics covered in AS/A level Mathematics.
- AS level Further Mathematics is designed to be learnt alongside AS level Mathematics in year 12, or taken up as a new AS subject alongside A2 Mathematics in year 13.
There are many good reasons to take Further Mathematics:
- Students taking Further Mathematics overwhelmingly find it to be an enjoyable, rewarding, stimulating and empowering experience.
- For someone who enjoys mathematics, it provides a challenge and a chance to explore new and/or more sophisticated mathematical concepts.
- It enables students to distinguish themselves as able mathematicians in the university and employment market.
- It makes the transition to a mathematics-rich university course easier.
- Some prestigious university courses will only accept students with Further Mathematics qualifications.
Any student planning to take a mathematics-rich degree (this covers a very wide range of academic areas – Engineering, Sciences, Computing, Finance/Economics, etc., as well as Mathematics itself) will benefit enormously from taking Further Mathematics, at least to AS level.
Students who are not planning to study for mathematicsrich degrees but who are keen on mathematics will find Further Mathematics a very enjoyable course and having a Further Mathematics qualification identifies students as having excellent analytical skills, whatever area they plan to study or work within.
AS Further Mathematics introduces new topics such as matrices and complex numbers that are vital in many mathematics-rich degrees. Students who have studied Further Mathematics find the transition to such degrees far more straightforward. Studying Further Mathematics also boosts students’ performance in AS/A-level Mathematics.
Any student capable of passing an AS/A level in Mathematics should also be able to pass AS Further Mathematics. Studying Further Mathematics also consolidates and reinforces students’ standard A level Mathematics work, helping them to achieve their best possible grades.
Students planning to study for a mathematics-rich degree who did not begin AS Further Mathematics in year 12 can choose to study it alongside A level Mathematics in year 13.
Many combinations of units are allowed for AS and A Level Further Mathematics. Four Further Pure units are available. Any of the Applied units listed for AS/A Level Mathematics may be used towards AS/A Level Further Mathematics and there are additional Statistics and Mechanics units available only for Further Mathematics. Some units which are allowed to count towards AS/A Level Further Mathematics are common with those for AS/A Level Mathematics. Therefore, there are restrictions on combinations of subject awards that candidates are allowed to enter.
Mathematics is a challenging A-level and as such is well regarded by employers and universities alike. It has applications in all science based subjects including the social sciences in addition to being a subject area in its own right. Students who have completed this course have recently progressed on to degrees in Medicine and Business Studies.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Alderman White School and Language College directly.