Sport & Exercise Science (BTEC) at Stanford & Corringham Sixth Form Centre
BTEC National Diploma and Extended Diploma in Sport and Exercise Science is equivalent in size to two or three A Levels respectively. It is best suited to learners who want to progress to higher education programmes in the sport and exercise science sector. The course also supports learners who choose to progress directly to employment, as the transferable knowledge, understanding and skills will give learners an advantage in applying for a range of entry level roles, training programmes and Higher Apprenticeships in areas such as sport and fitness training, coaching, and sports performance research.
PLEASE NOTE: This course could run over the 3 schools. Details of where this course will run in September will be available at a later date.
BTEC Level 3 National Diploma in Sport and Exercise Science (Two ‘A’ level equivalent)
- 8 units of which 6 are mandatory and 2 are optional
- 2 written exams, externally marked
- 1 Units externally assessed
This can be taken alongside a further qualification related to their chosen field.
BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma in Sport and Exercise Science (Three A level equivalent)
- 13 units of which 7 are mandatory and 6 are optional
- 2 written exam, externally marked
- 2 Units externally assessed
Mandatory Units include:
- Sport and Exercise Physiology
- Functional Anatomy
- Applied Sport and Exercise Psychology
- Field and Laboratory-based Fitness Testing
- Applied Research Methods in Sport and Exercise Science
- Coaching for Performance and Fitness
- Nutrition for Sport and Exercise Performance
Optional Units Include:
- Biomechanics in Sport and Exercise Science
- Specialised Fitness Training
- Research Project in Sport and Exercise Science
- Physical Activity for Individual and Group based Exercise
- Sociocultural Issues in Sport and Exercise
- Sports Injury and Assessment
Additionally both courses can be taken alongside; A Levels or the Football/Netball Academy programme. We also offer a wide range of part time sport related courses; Football Association level 1 and 2, Principles of coaching sport - level 2 and Fitness instructor - level 2.
At least 4 GCSE’s including English Language and Mathematics at grade 5 or above. Commit to an additional 8-10 hours of private study per week.
£30.00 deposit to cover all text books to be paid on enrolment day. This will be refunded at the end of your course once your books have been returned to the subject teacher.
£5.00 non-refundable payment for an Access Key Fob to access Gable Hall School, Sixth Form and St Clere's School.
This is a useful qualification for progression onto Higher Education and a solid foundation for employment in many sports areas, including:
• Teaching - Sports Science
• Fitness & Leisure industry
• Sports Therapy
The qualification is intended to carries UCAS points and is recognised by higher education providers as meeting admission requirements for many relevant courses.