Horticulture Level 2 Apprenticeship at Capel Manor College
The aim of our Intermediate Apprenticeship in Horticulture is to give you an opportunity to gain confidence, learn, develop and practise the skills required for employment and/or career progression in the industry.
- using and maintaining non-powered and hand-held powered tools and equipment
- garden maintenance throughout the seasons
- using and maintaining pedestrian controlled powered equipment
- how to maintain amenity turf
- plant identification by their botanical names and characteristics
- identifying presence of pests, diseases and disorders
- monitoring and maintaining health and safety in the workplace.
The Apprenticeship will last for a minimum of one year with one day a week at College combined with training, experience and assessment in the workplace.
You can take different Apprenticeship pathways depending on your employment type:
- Parks, Gardens and Green Spaces is available at Crystal Palace, Enfield, Gunnersbury Park and Regent’s Park
- Sports Turf is available at Enfield and Regent’s Park
- Hard Landscaping is available at Enfield.
You will have the opportunity to train for your machinery competencies and pesticide licence during your Apprenticeship.
You will need at least one of the following:
- you must be at least 16 years old on entry
- Introduction to Gardening and Landscaping (Level 1) or equivalent
- at least 2 GCSEs at grades D or above
- you must be employed within the horticulture industry, working a minimum of 30 hours per week under a contract of employment.
You will be asked to attend an interview to explore your interests, experience and ambitions and complete an initial assessment so that we can help you study. References are also considered.
We want all of our students to maximise their personal development and prospects for employment or further study. While on your course you will continue to build skills relevant to work and study on our Skills Development programmes, which may include English, maths or computer skills.
Successful completion of this course will enable you to progress to an Advanced Apprenticeship in Horticulture (Level 3), a Horticulture Advanced Diploma (Level 3) or continued employment in the horticulture industry.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Capel Manor College directly.