Plumbing and Heating Apprenticeship Training at Leeds College of Building
What's it all about?
Plumbers install, service and repair water supply, sanitation and heating systems. They also install bathroom suites including showers, toilets and basins.
What skills and qualities do I need?
- A basic understanding of maths, calculations and physics
- A careful, methodical and accurate approach to your work
- Good communication skills
How much could I earn?
Starting salaries for newly qualified plumbers can be between £18,000 and £22,000 a year. Experienced plumbers can earn between £22,000 and £35,000 a year.
What would I learn at College?
- The science behind plumbing and heating e.g. heat transfers, power, forces and pressure
- The environmental impact of plumbing and heating
- How to install bathrooms, heating systems and waste sanitation systems
- How to install and maintain showers, taps and valves
- How to cut, bend and solder copper pipe ready for installation
- How to cut and join plastic pipe ready for installation
- How to prepare the workplace/site ready for work to be carried out
No matter what level you are currently working at, you will be expected to further your skills in English and maths.
All applicants will be required to pass an assessment.
You must have achieved the Level 2 NVQ Diploma to commence the Level 3 NVQ Diploma.
Your employer will pay the costs associated with an Apprenticeship.
You could progress from a level 2 to a level 3 qualification. There is also the opportunity to progress into higher education at the College.
You should be aged 16 or over and ideally already be employed or have secured a work placement, however we may be able to help you with this.
You can also visit the National Apprenticeship Service website where you can register your details and search for vacancies.
How to apply
You can apply for this course through UCAS Progress. Add this course to your favourites so you can start making an application.