Public Services BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma at Carshalton College
A BTEC Extended Diploma is a practical, work-related course.
You learn by completing projects and assignments that are based on realistic workplace situations, activities and demands.
As well as learning about the employment area you have chosen, you develop the skills you need to start a career.
The units you will study include:
- Government Policies and the Public Services
- Leadership and Teamwork in the Public Services
- Citizenship, Diversity and the Public Services
- Understanding Discipline in the Uniformed Public Services
- Physical Preparation, Health and Lifestyle for the Public Services
- Fitness Testing and Training for Uniformed Services
- Understand the Impact of War, Conflict and Terrorism on Public Services
- Skills for Land-Based Outdoor and Adventurous Activities
- Outdoor and Adventurous Expeditions
- Skills for Water-Based Outdoor and Adventurous Activities
- Crime and its Effect on Society
- Current and Media Affairs in Public Services
- Behaviour in Public Sector Employment
- Custodial Care Services
- Exercise, Health & Lifestyle
- Responding to Emergency Service Incidents
- Volunteering in the Public Services
- Instructing Physical Activity and Exercise
During the two years of your course you can also gain the following qualifications:
- Level 2 Understanding Stewarding at Spectator Events
- Level 2 Maths and English Functional Skills
- GCSEs in Maths and English
Minimum four GCSEs at grades A-C (English essential) or you will have successfully completed a level 2 programme up to Merit or Distinction and achieved Functional Skills Level 2.
You may also be asked to demonstrate your commitment and skills in an interview. A good level of fitness is also required.
A positive reference from school, employer or tutor (if progressing or from another college) is essential, together with excellent attendance and punctuality records.
Students are required to complete a portfolio (file) containing evidence of assignments, presentations, leadership tasks, group exercises and practical work and expeditions.
Tuition, exam and registration fees not applicable to students aged 16 to 18
To enrol on this course you will be required to buy a uniform which will cost £40.
You may be required to purchase a travel card for additional visits that may be arranged during the year.
BTEC Extended Diplomas are valued by employers and in Higher Education (colleges and universities).
Past students have gone into careers such as:
- The Police
- The Armed Forces
- The Fire Service
A wide range of visits will be organised over the two years of the course.
You will also have the opportunity to experience a residential outdoor adventure visit, which aims to develop your teamwork, communication and leadership skills.
Additional equipment you will need to get throughout the year:
- Walking boots, rainproof jacket and sleeping bag.
- Travel card for additional visits that may be arranged during the year.
You will also have access during your sessions to our multi million pound gym facilities which is part of the college.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Carshalton College directly.