Design: Food Technology AS and A Level at The Latimer Arts College
- It is challenging and creative with a practical element.
- It will develop your skills and understanding of food science, food functions and nutrition.
- It will gain you points to allow progression to college or university.
- It could equip you with the skills and knowledge to progress towards working within careers relating to the Food Industry including the Catering Industry, Nutritionist, Food Scientist, Food Critic, Food Teacher and Chef.
Unit 1 – Food 1 - 25% - 2 hour Written Exam
- The exam will be based on your knowledge of nutrition, healthy eating and individual dietary needs, food functions, components and manufacturing. In addition your ability to analyse products, your awareness of social and cultural influences on the food industry as well as industrial and commercial practices.
Unit 2 – Food 2 - 25% - Coursework Portfolio
- You will produce a substantial design and make coursework task, approximately 40 A3 pages; consisting of a design portfolio and manufactured product. All coursework must be carried out under controlled conditions. You will create a task relating to a design brief suiting the theme provided by the exam board, carry out detailed research, design, develop, plan and make a new and innovative product which you will then test and evaluate.
Unit 3 – Food 3 - 25% - 2 hour Written Exam
- The exam will be based on your extensive knowledge of all aspects of Food Design and Manufacturing as well as the application of Food Science and Nutritional Principles.
Unit 4 – Food 4 - 25% - Coursework Portfolio
- You will produce another substantial design and make task demonstrating a high level of skill within research, analysis, design, evaluation and development of a manufactured product.
GCSE Food Grade B
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact The Latimer Arts College directly.