Hairdressing Level 3 NVQ Diploma at Eastleigh College
This one year qualification will provide you with the knowledge, understanding and skills to work competently as a hairdresser.
Level 3 Hairdressing is a highly practical one year programme, underpinned with the theoretical knowledge required for you to work safely in the salon and understand the basics of hairdressing skills.
You will learn how to advise and consult with clients, shampoo and condition the hair and scalp, change hair colour, cut hair using basic techniques, style and finish hair, set and dress hair, salon health and safety, provide customers with a positive experience and how to promote additional services and products.
This qualification is approved and supported by the Hairdressing and Beauty Industry Authority (HABIA), the standard-setting body for hair, beauty, nails and spa qualifications. Once you have completed this qualification, you can use the post-nominal HDipHB
Throughout this qualification you will monitor procedures to safely control work operations, provide hairdressing consultation services, creatively cut hair using a combination of techniques and promote additional services or products to clients.
You will learn about
- combining, adapting and personalising a range of colouring and lightening techniques
- advanced skills necessary to determine and correct more complex colouring problems.
- conventional and non-conventional dressing and hair-up techniques to produce innovative, fashionable, creative and personalised looks
- combine and adapt a variety of styling techniques to produce the finished effect.
The units on the programme include
- creative cutting
- fashion colouring
- colour correction
- creative styling and dressing long hair
- develop and enhance your creative hairdressing skills.
You will also learn related transferrable skills such as
- salon health and safety
- client consultation
- promote additional services and products.
During the programme you will take part in work experience, photographic competitions and hair shows.
All students without an A*-C grade in English or Maths will be required, as a condition of the programme, to undertake either a GCSE or Functional Skills programme.
- Level 2 Hairdressing Qualification ( this will need to be produced at interview);
- A skills test and interview are also required.
- If not already working in a salon a minimum of 1 day a week work placement will need to be secured to help build speed, skills and confidence.
- Good personal skills
You will be supervised by technical staff and assessed on your competence. Together with your assessor, you will build a portfolio that will be a mix of theoretical evidence, exam results and practical observations. It must show achievement of all learning outcomes, assessment criteria and range as set out by the awarding body.
You will also be expected to provide photographic evidence of your practical work.
You are required to dress smartly, wearing black and white with closed in shoes. Smart dress must be worn to all practical sessions to ensure assessments can take place. You will also need to ensure that you bring a hairdressing kit to practical sessions.
Upon completion, you may become a stylist in a variety of salon settings including traditional salons, armed forces, HM prisons and cruise liners or hospital/home care, manufacturer technician, industry sales and marketing, salon technician or bridal hair
Training progression can be via various routes, for example Level 2/3 Barbering, Level 3 Preparing to Set up Your Own Salon, Level 4 Hairdressing Management and Assessors Awards and Level 4 Hairdressing.
Once you have been hairdressing for a minimum of five years you can start your teacher training.
Self study is essential to help support your progress and build your course portfolio.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Eastleigh College directly.