Sport (Development, Coaching and Fitness) BTEC 90 Credit / Extended Diploma Level 3 at Colchester Institute
The Sport (Development, Coaching and Fitness) BTEC Extended Diploma course will provide the opportunity to develop practical vocational skills, knowledge and understanding for work and coaching in the expanding area of leisure and recreation. A variety of learning styles are developed. These include formal class learning, group work, presentation and individual tutorials relating to the assessment programme.
Learners initially enrol on the course as a one year programme with the option to leave after successfully completing the first year. On completion of Year 1 students will normally progress onto Year 2. You will also engage in GEM and GAP activities to develop your English, maths and employability skills.
The Sport (Development, Coaching and Fitness) course content is made up from a combination of the following units:
- Principles of Anatomy and Physiology in Sport
- The Physiology of Fitness
- Assessing Risk in Sport
- Fitness Training and Programming
- Fitness Testing for Sport and Exercise
- Sports Coaching
- Sports Development
- Practical Team Sports
- Practical Individual Sports
- Outdoor and Adventurous Activities
- Sports Nutrition
- Current Issues in Sport
- Leadership in Sport
- Exercise, Health and Lifestyle
- Exercise for Specific Groups
- Analysis of Sports Performance
- Talent Identification and Development in Sport
- Instructing Physical Activity and Exercise
- Psychology for Sports Performance
- Sports and Exercise Massage
- Rules, Regulations and Officiating in Sport
- Physical Education and the Care of Children and Young People
- Work Experience in Sport
- Technical and Tactical Skills in Sport
- The Athlete’s Lifestyle
- Skills for Land-based Outdoor and Adventurous Activities
- Skills for Water-based Outdoor and Adventurous Activities
- Sports Facilities and Operational Management
- Profiling Sports Performance
- Research Investigation in Sport and Exercise Sciences
- Laboratory and Experimental Methods in Sport and Exercise Sciences
5 GCSEs (grades A*-C) including English and maths or equivalent, or satisfactory results in a relevant Level 2 qualification and appropriate English and maths qualifications, and an interview. A satisfactory Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS)* check will also be required.
* Please note there is a charge of £44 for a DBS check.
Trainee supervisory positions in sport and recreation as, forexample, lifeguards, coaches, fitness instructors or recreation assistants.
The full level 3 qualification enables access to higher education or a Bachelors Degree in a related subject at university.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Colchester Institute directly.