ICT - BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma at St Leonards Catholic School
The BTEC Extended Diploma has been designed to provide you with a high quality; industry recognised qualification geared towards a career in ICT. It offers students a more in-depth look at ICT by providing on-going learning and assessment of the practical skills required in an ICT career.This course is assessed through coursework only.
- Communication and Employability Skills for IT. In this unit you will develop your non-technical skills and attitudes, known as soft skills, and the technical skills and knowledge required for specific jobs in IT which are key to employability. Soft skills are those skills relating to an individual’s ability to communicate and work effectively with others, to use appropriate language, be dependable and conscientious, and to generally behave in an acceptable manner in the workplace. Soft skills complement hard skills, which are the knowledge, understanding and technical skills required to do a job.
- Computer Systems. In this unit you will consider a range of hardware and come to understand the technical specifications of components. This unit considers both types of utility software. IT professionals will often be asked to recommend systems for varied user needs. There are many different manufacturers of computer systems and each manufacturer produces a wide range of models with different specifications. Deciding which particular model is appropriate for a given situation depends on a variety of factors. These factors are explored in this unit so that you can make informed choices when recommending computer systems.
- Information Systems. Information systems are combinations of software, hardware and communication networks, used to collect, organise and distribute useful information within organisations. The availability of reliable information, presented in an appropriate format is the basis for good decision making. It can be used by organisations for obtaining a competitive advantage and promote efficiency.
- Advanced Spreadsheets
- Advanced Databases
- Desktop Publishing
- Career Planning
- Work Experience
- Digital Photography
- Digital Video
- Digital Audio
- Music Technology
- Cartooning and Animation
- Art and Animation for Computer Games
- Programming for Computer Games
- Computer Games Production
- Computer Games Technology
- Web Authoring
- Hosting and Managing Websites
- Databases for e-commerce
- Website Security and Regulations
- Internet Past, Present and Future
- Scripting and Coding for Websites
- Project Management
- Producing a Business Plan
The entry requirements for the BTEC Extended Diploma study are:
- each applicant must achieve at least eight GCSE or equivalent Level 2 Qualification passes at grade A*-G
- each applicant must achieve at least four GCSE or equivalent Level 2 Qualification passes at grade A*-C
- any applicant failing to achieve at least a grade C in GCSE English and/or Mathematics undertake a re-sit course in Year 12.
- each applicant must study the General Religious Education Course to completion
- each applicant must undertake the work experience of this course, as arranged.
These qualification are designed to enable students to either enter employment in an ICT related career, or to progress onto University to study an ICT or Business related degree.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact St Leonards Catholic School directly.