Hairdressing Apprenticeship Level 2 at Calderdale College
The NVQ in Hairdressing is for those who are interested in all aspects of hairdressing and who want to do the majority of their training in the workplace. The types of salon range from small local establishments to larger town centre ones. Level 2 learners will work under close supervision at work and will initially be involved with learning the basics of hairdressing.
The Apprenticeship in Hairdressing allows you to work in Industry where an assessor will come to your workplace to assess you on the practical elements of the course. One day a week you will be released to College to complete the knowledge requirements, train in a realistic working environment and complete the Functional Skill elements of the programme and Employee Rights and Responsibilities.
The units are selected on the basis of relevance to the industry and the employability value:
- Style and Finish Hair – Styling hair using blow drying and finger drying techniques. Finishing hair using heated styling equipment is also required. A high degree of manual dexterity will be required to work on different hair lengths.
- Set and Dress Hair – Using a range of setting and dressing techniques to achieve a variety of different looks. The ability to work with a wide range of products and tools, with a high degree of manual dexterity.
- Cut Hair using Basic Techniques – Creating a variety of basic looks using club cutting, freehand, texturising and scissor over comb techniques; to produce uniform layers, short and long graduations and one length cuts.
- Colour and Lighten Hair – Changing hair colour using semi-permanent, quasi-permanent, permanent and lightening products. The ability to colour a full head, regrowth and create highlight and lowlight effects, taking into account a variety of factors.
- Advise and Consult with Clients – The important skill of consulting with clients to determine their ideas and requirements. Recommending services and products and examining the hair, skin and scalp are also essential aspects of this unit.
- Shampoo, Condition and Treat the Hair and Scalp – Shampooing, conditioning and treating the hair and scalp using appropriate massage techniques and products for a variety of hair and scalp conditions; providing aftercare advice.
- Develop and Maintain your Effectiveness at Work – Taking responsibility for improving your performance at work and working well with your colleagues so as to make a positive contribution to the overall effectiveness of your salon.
- Perm and Neutralise Hair – Carrying out basic perming and neutralising services to the satisfaction of your client; demonstrating a number of winding techniques and the ability to conduct a range of tests on hair.
4 GCSEs to include English and Maths at grade E or above or equivalent. All applicants will be interviewed and assessed for suitability by a Training Officer. Applicants will be expected to be in relevant employment with the support of an employer who can offer work that supports NVQ completion; however, those without an employer will be given job seeking assistance by the Training Officer
Practical assessment takes place in the work place and also in the Commercial Salon at College. Knowledge is assessed by an externally set online test for each unit.
No fees payable for learners aged 16-18.
Ideally on completion of your Apprenticeship you will be able to move onto the Advanced Apprenticeship to further develop the skills that you have gained at Level 2.
The Advice & Guidance team provide impartial Student Advisors to give information about College Courses and provide initial guidance to help you decide which course is best for you . Financial advice and assistance if you need help with childcare, equipment, fees, or travel. Careers and Student Advisors to give you the necessary help and guidance you need when you are progressing on to further and higher education or employment.During Your Study
Before enrolment you will be asked to attend an interview with a Training Officer and complete a Basic Key Skills assessment. The results of this will be used to determine the level of support you will require to complete your framework successfully.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Calderdale College directly.