Catering and Professional Chefs (Professional Cookery) Intermediate Apprenticeship - Day Release at Eastleigh College
The Intermediate Apprenticeship in Catering and Professional Chefs provides the fundamental skills and knowledge required for a successful and rewarding career in professional catering.
The Apprenticeship is also suitable for those who are seeking to start a career in professional catering and for those who have some relevant experience but do not have a relevant qualification. The pathway is offered is professional cookery.
You will learn through a combination of on- and off-the-job training. You will attend college on a day release basis during term time and spend the rest of your time earning and learning in the workplace.
You will achieve a Level 2 NVQ Diploma in Professional Cookery and a Level 2 Certificate in Hospitality and Catering Principles (Professional Cookery). Unless exempt on entry, you will also achieve Level 1 Functional Skills qualifications in English and maths
The Apprenticeship includes core units relating to:
- maintaining a safe, hygienic and secure working environment
- working effectively as part of a hospitality team
- maintaining food safety when storing, preparing and cooking food
- maintaining, handling and cleaning knives.
In addition, there is a wide range of unit options to select from relating to the preparation, cooking and finishing of a wide range of dishes.
- Entry is subject to interview and assessment.
- You will need to have relevant employment.
In addition, you need to have
- 4 GCSEs at grade D or higher, including English and Maths
- or to have achieved a relevant Level 1/2 professional catering qualification
- or have relevant experience and be able to demonstrate ability equivalent to, or exceeding Level 1 in English and maths
You will be assessed on a continuous basis through a combination of knowledge and practical assessment activities, including assessment of activities in the workplace.
Your progress will be continuously monitored and supported by an Apprenticeship Achievement Officer.
Intermediate apprentices, with support and opportunities in the workplace, can progress onto the Advanced Apprenticeship in Catering and Professional Chefs. On completion of the Intermediate Apprenticeship, the apprentice will be competent to work as a Craft Chef (fine or casual dining) and may progress to Chef De Partie, Sous Chef or Team Supervisor.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Eastleigh College directly.