Further Mathematics AS Level at Nelson Thomlinson School
• Four Pure Mathematics modules as well as two Mechanics modules.
• The modules in Pure Mathematics extend students’ knowledge of Algebra, Geometry, Vectors and Trigonometry as well as introducing new concepts in Numerical Methods, Series, Logarithms, Calculus and Differential Equations.
• In Mechanics, students learn to describe the motion of objects and analyse how they react to forces acting upon them. They also apply calculus techniques studied in the Pure Modules to solve problems. There is overlap with Physics.
At least a high Grade A in GCSE Mathematics
- An enjoyment of Mathematics (students have nine hours of tuition per week).
- Prepared to be challenged and willing to explore new and more sophisticated mathematical concepts that deepen knowledge and understanding beyond the standard A Level Mathematics syllabus.
Core 1: 16% – Exam paper
Core 2: 16% – Exam paper
Core 3: 16% – Exam paper
Core 4: 16% – Exam paper
Mechanics 1: 16% – Exam paper
Mechanics 2: 16% – Exam paper
A-Level Further Mathematics can be used to gain entry into a wide range of careers and courses in Higher Education. These include Accountancy, Computer Science, Economics, Engineering, Medicine, Physics and Teaching. Some prestigious university courses require students to have a Further Mathematics qualification and others may adjust their grade requirements more favourably to students with Further Mathematics.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Nelson Thomlinson School directly.