Information Technology BTEC Level 3 Extended Certificate at Biddenham Upper School and Sports College
BTEC Level 3 Certificate in IT
BTEC Level 3 Extended Certificate in IT (Yr 13)
- At the end of 2013 there were more advertised vacancies for IT professionals than there were candidates to fill them.
- Employment in the IT industry is forecast to grow 5 times faster than the UK average with over half a million new IT and Telecoms professionals needed over the next 5 years.
- IT and Telecoms professionals currently earn 41% more than the national average salary.
- Due to the skills shortage in the UK, many firms are having to recruit from abroad.
This course is designed for learners who are interested in an introduction to the study of creating IT systems to manage and share information alongside other subjects, with a view to progressing to a wide range of higher education courses, not necessarily in IT. You will develop a common core of IT knowledge and study areas such as the relationship between hardware and software that form an IT system, managing and processing data to support business and using IT to communicate and share information.
The objective of this course is to give you the opportunity to develop your knowledge and skills in IT systems, systems management and social media in business. This will enable you to progress to further study in the IT sector or other sectors.
The Units covered in the 1st year:
- Unit 1: Information Technology Systems (External Exam)
- Unit 2: Creating Systems to Manage Information (External Coursework)
The Units covered in the 2nd year:
- Unit 3: Using Social Media in Business.
- Unit 6: Website Development.
Minimum of three GCSE grades at A*C (or the equivalent) including EITHER English Language or Mathematics
This course is suitable for learners who wish to learn through applied learning techniques, therefore applying learning which will be directly beneficial for the workplace or future studies in the digital IT Industry. You will need to have a strong interest in IT and the digital world today.
Certificate in IT : Equivalent in size to 0.5 of an A Level. 2 units, both mandatory, of which 1 is external. Mandatory content (100%). External assessment (50%).
Extended Certificate : Equivalent in size to one A Level. 4 units of which 3 are mandatory and 2 are
external. Mandatory content (83%). External assessment (58%).
Studying BTEC Nationals in IT builds a good foundation for a range of career options including:
- starting up your own business being self employment
- further education
- joining the IT industry
- IT apprenticeships
Course contact: Mrs B Sydney, firstname.lastname@example.org
Examination board: Edexcel Specifications
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Biddenham Upper School and Sports College directly.