Hair and Beauty Level 1 at Rotherham College
Hair, Beauty, Media Make-up and Nails 148 Hair, Beauty, Media Make-up and Nails Could you cut it as a hair stylist or shape a career as a nail technician?
Can you use a stroke of creativity to make waves in the make-up industry?
Do you dream of exploring the world, offering the latest treatments as a beauty therapist?
Then make sure Rotherham College is your first step into the hair, beauty, media make-up and nail industry. Our Inspire Salons and Nail Bar will provide you with the perfect training environment to work with real clients to gain the required knowledge and skills you need to progress your career.
By working in partnership with many local theatre companies, businesses and schools, you are given the opportunity to put your skills to the test in a working environment.
Be it transforming young wannabe actors into the theatre’s favourite characters; creating ghoulishly gruesome zombies for charity events; or adding glamour to the runway for fellow students’ fashion events – the possibilities are endless. You’ll participate in competitions such as Matchfit, The National Federation of Hairdressing, Warpaint Make-up and World Skills UK. The competitions provide you with the chance to enhance your CV, develop your talent and test your skills in a range of techniques to demonstrate excellence in your chosen trade.
This course is designed for individuals who are not yet ready to study at Level 2. It is an excellent way to begin your journey into the world of hairdressing, beauty therapy, nail technology or media make-up. This programme is designed to provide you with a taster and new skills which you can develop further at Level 2 when you have decided which route you wish to take.
What will I study?
• Facial work, including skin analysis, products and mask application
•Manicure work and nail art design
• Designing and creating images to use in competition work
• Have the opportunity to learn reception duties and salon health and safety to enhance employability skills
• Hairdressing skills including plaiting, twisting and styling women’s hair and temporary colour
• A basic level of anatomy and physiology including bones and skin structure • You will be required to work on some real clients
• Functional Skills in English and maths
• You will write short assignments and build up a portfolio of evidence
• You will also develop your personal learning and thinking skills along the way
What added value will I receive?
The opportunity to attend master classes and workshops will be available as an introduction to Level 2 subjects and competition work will also be included. You will be encouraged to attend trips such as the hair and beauty therapy trade shows.
•Level 1 reading and writing skills
• Interview with course tutor with some practical workshops
• Good communication skills and commitment to the programme
• References from previous organisations
Assessment will be carried out through practical observations and oral questioning. Theoretical knowledge will be assessed be completing short assignments which are graded pass, merit or distinction for learners to reward high level work.
16-18 year olds do not need to pay course fees. Depending on your circumstances you may not need to pay fees. Contact the Enquiries on the details below for advice and guidance on:
T: 01709 722777
Progression to further courses within the sector: beauty therapy, media make-up, nail technology or hairdressing.
For more details please contact the Enquiry Team on:
T: 01709 722777
How to apply
You can apply for this course through UCAS Progress. Add this course to your favourites so you can start making an application.