Music Technology BTEC Level 2 Diploma at Herefordshire & Ludlow College
The course includes both practical and theoretical aspects. Students will utilise professional hardware and software, including Apple Macs and professional specification recording studios. There are a variety of field trips to industryrelated areas. Your tutors are fully active in the music industry, ensuring the latest practices are demonstrated.
The music business is one of the UK’s most successful industries and whether your aspirations are to perform, be a songwriter, producer or manager, this course begins to prepare you for your chosen career. The course is divided into closely related areas, designed to provide a broad-based training programme for those who are either planning on entering the music business, or who wish to further their existing knowledge and skills.
Giving an insight into the technology and equipment utilised in modern music production, this introductory one-year Level 2 (GCSE-equivalent) course provides a solid foundation for entry into the music technology industry. Successful completion can lead to a Level 3 Subsidiary/Extended Diploma in Music Technology.
There are both practical and theoretical elements to this course, and all assessments are chosen for their industry relevance.
You will cover a diverse range of topics throughout your course. A selection of unit titles is shown below.
- Computer Music Production
- Recording Studio Production
- The Workings of the Music Industry
- Music Composition including World Music
- 4 GCSEs at grade E or above (to include maths and English) or successful completion of a suitable and relevant Level 1 qualification (eg. Level 1 in Computing and IT)
- Successful interview and initial assessment in literacy and numeracy
- Applicants will be expected to demonstrate enthusiasm and commitment to the chosen subject area
Assessment is continuous, with assignments, projects and practical work.
There are various opportunities for further study or employment upon successful completion of your course.
Study options may include:
- Level 3 Subsidiary/Extended Diploma in Music Technology
Employment options may include:
There are many aspects of the music industry that would welcome successful learners at entry level such as those shown below.
- Live Sound
- Music Production
Maths and English
All students following a full-time programme of study at HLC will study English and maths as part of their studies.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Herefordshire & Ludlow College directly.