Art and Design A Level at Maria Fidelis Sixth Form
- Art is relevant to a range of careers, some of which are detailed below.
- It will provide a valuable skill in our highly visual, multimedia world.
You’ll enjoy this course if….
- … you enjoy making Art and have a desire to communicate with an audience through your practice.
- …if you have a real commitment to research and development.
- …if you enjoy visiting galleries, using primary sources and communicating through your artwork.
- Personal Portfolio in the first year: art work covering four assessment objectives.
- Personal statement in the second year: essay on an artist, art movement, or theme in art.
- Practical art work responding to essay.
- Exam in second year, with preparation time.
- Paper given out end of January
- Artwork completed in May.
- 5 A*-C grades (or equivalents) at GCSE.
- Grade B or above in GCSE Art & Design.
In mixed ability groups and in one-to-one tutorials to develop and explore a range of projects to address your assessment objectives.
As the course progresses, personal work is developed through negotiation and a discussion with teachers.
There are several visits to museums and galleries, and opportunities to study at Central Saint Martins, The Courtauld Institute of Art and Camden Arts Centre.
The UK’s creative industries are worth a record £84.1 billion to the UK economy, and rising every year.
Employment in the creative industries is increasing at more than twice the rate of the wider UK economy, in July 2015 providing 1.8 million jobs
Studying Art and Design can lead to a wide range of careers in the creative industries such as Architecture, Advertising, Fashion and Textiles, Graphic Communications, Digital Media, Animation and Design.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Maria Fidelis Sixth Form directly.