WJEC GCE in French, WJEC GCE in German, WJEC GCE in Spanish at Chesterfield High School
The main areas of study are as follows: Leisure & Lifestyles, The individual and Society, Environmental issues and Social & Political issues. At A2, students complete a guided study option from the fields of literature, cinema and geography, which requires a considerable amount of independent study. The specifications for AS and A level French, German and Spanish are designed to encourage students to:
- develop an interest in, and enthusiasm for, language learning
- develop understanding of the language in a variety of contexts and genres
- communicate confidently, clearly and effectively in the language for a range of purposes
- develop awareness and understanding of the contemporary society, cultural background and heritage of countries or communities where the language is spoken
- consider their study of the language in a broader context.
- derive enjoyment and benefit from language learning
- acquire knowledge, skills and understanding for practical use, further study and/or employment
- communicate with speakers of the language
- take their place in a multilingual global society.
- provide a coherent, satisfying and worthwhile course of study for students who do not progress to further study in the subject.
- provide a sufficient basis for the further study of languages at degree level or equivalent.
The course is 100% examined terminally at the end of Year 12 (AS) and then at the end of Year 13 (A2). The course comprises of Unit 1 (AS Speaking) worth 20% of final grade, Unit 2 (AS Listening, Reading & writing examination) worth 30% of final grade, Unit 3 (A2 Speaking) worth 20% of final grade plus Unit 4 (A2 Listening, Reading & Writing examination) worth 30% of final grade. All oral examinations take place in March - May prior to official start of GCE examination period. In Year 12 the AS oral examination is teacher assessed however in Year 13, the A2 oral examination is conducted by a visiting examiner. All students are expected to attend additional weekly timetabled sessions with Foreign Language assistant in order to prepare for oral examinations.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Chesterfield High School directly.
Last updated date: 07 August 2014