Supporting Teaching & Learning in Schools Apprenticeship at Uxbridge College
This apprenticeship is about providing support in the classroom. After all, teachers aren’t the only ones who make a difference to learning in schools. Learning support staffs, such as teaching assistants, play a vital role in today’s classrooms by making sure students get the most out of their lessons.
They work with teachers, carry out duties like lesson preparation, work with small groups or individuals, allowing the teacher to concentrate on teaching.
As an apprentice, you’ll work under the close supervision of a class teacher. Your duties will vary depending on how the teachers you work with plan their lessons and handle day-to-day classroom activities – however, you could find yourself supervising arts and crafts activities, helping with outings, or reading to the class.
Here are a few examples of the units you may study –
- Helping to keep pupils safe
- Supporting pupils learning activities
- Promoting positive behaviour
- Developing and promoting positive relationships
- Supporting the development and effectiveness of teams
- Reflecting on and developing practice.
- Aged 16+
- Working in or interested in supporting teaching and learning in schools
- Need to complete a basic skills assessment in literacy and numeracy
- Aptitude to support the care and learning needs of children and young people
- Potential to develop positive relationships with children and young people and their parents.
Assessments are carried out in your workplace.
Our assessor will come and visit you at work every 6-8 weeks and assess you in your job role. Visits usually last around two hours.
There is no cost for you to do an apprenticeship if you are 16-23 years old and you will be paid a wage.
NUS Apprentice extra Card
Apprentices can get discounts at over 120 high street and online retailers, please visit www.apprenticeextra.co.uk for more information.
Apprentice Oyster photocard
Apprentices can get up to 30% discounts on travel within London Borough. For more information, please visit https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/adultdiscounts-and-concessions/apprentice-oysterphotocard
- Further study: If you complete a Level 2 Apprenticeship, you may be able to progress onto Level 3. Apprentices that complete Level 3 may be able to go onto a Level 4 Higher Apprenticeship.
- Job opportunities: Level 2: Teaching assistant, classroom Assistant and learning support assistant. Level 3: Teaching / classroom / learning support assistant, behaviour support assistant/coordinator, pastoral / welfare support assistant, bilingual support assistant and team leader.
Contact our apprenticeships department on
- 01895 853622 / 01895 853333
Please see the frequently asked questions on the next page for more information!
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Uxbridge College directly.