Physics A Level at Bridgwater College
If you want to understand more about the physical universe in which we all live, and of course extend your knowledge of physics from GCSE, this course is for you.
It is designed for those that have an enquiring mind and enjoy problem solving in the real world.
Like most A levels, the emphasis is on understanding, rather than remembering.
In the first year we will study:
Foundations of Physics This module explores the basic ideas of Physics - units and vectors.
Forces and Motion This module studies how things move, how forces affect their movement, the different forms of energy and how materials behave depending on their properties.
Electrons, Waves and Photons This module looks at how current moves in circuits and what drives and resists it. It investigates wave behaviour and especially interference. The final section considers the mysterious effects of quantum physics.
Practical skills Throughout all modules you will develop your practical skills, and gain an understanding of how the theory works in practice. You will also work towards your Practical Endorsement Qualification.
In the second year, towards the A level, we will study:
Newtonian World and Astrophysics This module starts by looking at the effects of temperature on solids, liquids and gases. It continues by investigating circular motion and simple harmonic motion (not always as simple as it sounds!), and concludes with exploration of the Physics behind the motion, behaviour and interaction of cosmological structures.
Particles and Medical Physics This module starts by looking at the causes and effects of electric and electromagnetic fields; it then applies these to electricity transmission and capacitors. Next we start to discover the hidden depths of atoms including quarks and neutrinos, before moving on to understanding the many medical investigative techniques.
Practical skills Throughout both second year modules you will gain high-level practical skills, and you will complete your evidence for the Practical Endorsement Qualification.
Five GCSEs in the A* – C range, including Maths and English at grade C or above.
- Each of the theory units are assessed by terminal external written examination.
- Practical skills are assessed throughout the two years by your teacher as well as in the final written examinations.
- There will be plenty of practice for both written and practical assessment throughout the course.
- A Levels are still the most traditional route to university and we are delighted that each year a good number of students continue their studies through a Physics or Engineering degree course.
- Physics is a high currency A level qualification. This course is prized by universities and industry alike for its ability to develop logical and lateral thinking numerate individuals who are adept at problem solving.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Bridgwater College directly.