Hospitality Services C&G Level 2 Diploma at Macclesfield College
This course provides you with an introduction to the catering industry through practical work in both the kitchen and restaurant and related theory. It will be suitable for you if you would like a practical career in the catering and hospitality industry either in the kitchen or the restaurant and you enjoy working as part of a team and are enthusiastic about food. This course covers the basic training required to work in the catering and hospitality industry.
During this course you will study both mandatory and optional units to achieve 37 credits:
Optional Units totalling 22 credits are chosen from:
- A range of units covering food preparation and cooking such as meat and poultry
- The preparation of the restaurant, taking food orders and serving our customers in the Silk Room
Mandatory units totalling 15 credits are taken in:
- Maintain a safe, hygienic and secure working environment
- Work effectively as part of a hospitality team
- Maintain food safety when storing, preparing and cooking food
- Give customers a positive impression of yourself and your organisation
Alongside your main programme of study you will also study either GCSE or Functional Skills in English and Maths if you have not achieved a GCSE grade C or above. If you have achieved a grade C or above in GCSE English and Maths, you will engage in extending these skills through a Directed Study Programme.
For this course you will need to have achieved one of the following:
- Level 1 in Hospitality Services
- Level 1 in Food Preparation & Cooking
On receipt of your application to study this course you will be invited to attend an admissions interview with a member of the teaching team to discuss the course and its requirements further.
You will be assessed in the College’s Silk Room Restaurant and the kitchen where you will be observed completing a range of tasks
for each unit. You will also complete a portfolio of evidence which will prove your understanding of the catering theory.
GCSE and Functional Skills qualifications are assessed through external examination and portfolio work.
You will be required to purchase a basic kitchen and restaurant uniform and you will be advised of this and the cost at your admissions interview.
Upon successful achievement of this course you may wish;
- To progress on to the NVQ Level 2 Diploma in Professional Cookery or Food and Beverage
- To pursue career opportunities in the hospitality industry
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Macclesfield College directly.