Automotive Engineering Light Vehicle Apprenticeships at Bridgwater College
This Apprenticeship is for 16 – 18 year olds in relevant employment in the motor industry. Subsidised Apprenticeships are also available for those aged 19 – 24.
If you are keen to work with cars, but are not yet in relevant employment, we maintain regular contact with employers who have vacancies or we can offer help and advice if you prefer to conduct your own job search.
The course comprises an Apprenticeship or an Advanced Apprenticeship in Light Vehicle Maintenance and Repair, depending on your entry qualifications and an initial assessment. Topics studied include:
- Engine units and components
- Chassis systems
- Vehicle electrical and electronic systems
- Fault diagnosis
- Health and safety
- Skills for the automotive workplace
You will attend the Automotive Centre at Bridgwater College on a block or day release basis to study for:
- A Technical Certificate (VRQ): provides the essential knowledge to do the job
- Key Skills: develops the literacy, numeracy and IT skills needed in the modern workplace
- You will also undertake a VCQ at your workplace. This involves building a portfolio of evidence to demonstrate that you can do your job to a national standard
- Your progress through the course is monitored by assessment, observation, assignments and tests
Entry requirements for the Advanced Apprenticeship are grades A*–C in GCSE Maths and English and for an Apprenticeship, grades D–G in GCSE Maths and English.
As well as being in relevant employment, you will need equipment such as writing pads, pens, rulers, calculators.
In order to help maintain your safety, we insist that you bring boots and overalls to wear in the workshops.
On successful completion of the course you will be a qualified professional light vehicle technician. You could progress on to our new Level 4 Master Technician programme or an HNC.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Bridgwater College directly.