Professional Cookery - Level 2 Diploma at West Thames College
This course is based in our professional kitchens at the Feltham Skills Centre. You will increase your professional skills and gain the techniques required to work in the modern hospitality and catering industry. You will also gain Level 2 qualifications in food hygiene and health and safety, which are essential for work in the catering industry.
This course is based in our professional kitchens at the Feltham Skills Centre. You will increase your professional skills and gain the techniques needed to work in the modern hospitality and catering industry.
You will study:
- Maintain a safe, hygienic and secure working
- Contribute to effective teamwork
- Maintain food safely when storing, preparing and cooking food
- Maintain, handle and clean knives
- Prepare fish, meat, poultry, game, offal and vegetables for basic dishes
- Process dried ingredients prior to cooking
- Prepare and mix spice and herb blends
- Prepare, cook and finish basic dishes including shellfish, meat, poultry, game, offal and vegetable
- Make basic stock
- Prepare, cook and finish basic soups, hot sauces, rice dishes, grain dishes, pasta dishes, vegetable protein dishes and egg dishes
- Prepare, cook and finish basic cakes, sponges, biscuits, scones, bread and dough products, pastry products, hot and cold desserts
- Produce healthier dishes
- Prepare and present food for cold presentation
- Prepare, cook and finish basic dim sum and noodle dishes
- Prepare and cook food using a tandoor
- Cook-chill food
- Cook-freeze food
- Complete kitchen documentation
- Set up and close kitchen
- Order stock
- Liaise with care team to ensure that individual nutritional needs are met
- Prepare meals to meet the requirements set for school meals
You will also gain qualifications in food hygiene and health and safety.
- RSH Essential Food Hygiene covers pathogenic micro-organisms, food poisoning, personal hygiene, temperature control, kitchen design, kitchen pests and food legislation.
- CIEH Basic Health and Safety provides you with health and safety understanding.
You will visit trade shows such as Hotelympia and the Hotel and Catering Show and take part in competitions such as Salon Culinaire and World Skills UK. There will also be work experience opportunities.
At least 2 GCSEs at grades D / grade 3 or above or a pass in a relevant Level 1 qualification with functional skills in English and maths.
If you need advice before you apply, please call 020 8326 2020 or email email@example.com.
You will be assessed by continuous assessment based on observed practical performance and external theory tests.
This course is free for students aged 16-18.
VRQ Level 3 Professional Cookery, employment in the catering industry and/or an advanced apprenticeship.
To find out more about this qualification, contact us, ask your Connexions Personal Adviser or school/college careers staff.
View all courses at West Thames College.
How to apply
You can apply for this course through UCAS Progress. Add this course to your favourites so you can start making an application.