Physics A Level at Northampton Academy
‘A Physicists journey starts with putting two numbers together, and ends with taking the universe apart’. If you have an enquiring mind, enjoy a challenge and like solving problems, give yourself the best chance by studying Physics. From the smallest particles inside the atom to the great clusters of galaxies, Physics helps us to understand how our world works. The applications, like the career opportunities, are immense. Employers and further education centres today actively seek out people who can prove their ability to think logically, understand complex ideas and can apply them to the real world.
Over the two year course you will study 6 modules:
- Practical Skills in Physics – skills of planning, implementing, analysis and evaluation.
- Foundations of Physics – physical quantities and units, scalars and vectors, and measurements.
- Forces and Motion – Newton’s laws of motion, work, energy and power, materials, and momentum.
- Electrons, Waves and Photons – Charge, current, energy, power, resistance, circuits, waves, and quantum physics.
- Newtonian world and Astrophysics – thermal physics, circular motion, oscillations, gravitational fields, and astrophysics.
- Particles and Medical Physics
- capacitors, electric fields, electromagnetism, nuclear and particle physics, and medical imaging.
At least 5 A*-C GCSEs including a grade 5 in English Language, grade 7 or better in Mathematics and grade A or better in physics (or AA in the core and additional science). Note: High B grades will be considered on a case by case basis.
A-Level: 3 terminal exams
Paper 1: Modelling physics (37%)
Paper 2: Exploring physics (37%)
Paper 3: Unified physics (26%)
Your Physics qualification will be welcomed in an amazing variety of careers and further education courses including Physics, Engineering, Mathematics, Accounting and Product Design. The subject is highly regarded in the Engineering and Finance sectors.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Northampton Academy directly.