Level 3 UAL Extended Diploma in Creative Media Production (Journalism - Radio Broadcast Radio & Digital Publishing) at Cambridge Regional College
This introductory one year course is a unique combination of many areas and skills needed by the contemporary journalist, digital print professionals and web designers alike. There are two main pathways of study, Broadcast Radio and Digital Online, which you will experience on a rotation basis. Then approximately halfway through the year, as part of your final major project (FMP), you will be able to focus on the area that you are most interested in. The outcome of your FMP will denote your overall grade for the year.
Radio Broadcast: Supported by excellent industry links, live briefs and invaluable work experience opportunities, this will provide you with a challenging, rewarding and industry-relevant learning experience. The college has its very own radio studios and is delivered by academic and industry professionals, our unique radio programme offers the key techniques, skills and understanding required to build a successful broadcast career. The college's own radio station, Core Radio Cambridge, is staffed and managed by the radio students and demands dedication, professional standards of work, an empathy with your audience and a real understanding of broadcast codes and regulations.
Digital Online: As the print & interactive industries continue to develop, diversify and merge, so will the skills required by tomorrow's journalists, print professionals and web designers. You will develop skills in all aspects of digital media including digital communications, the development of print-based & digital articles and features, page layout and design, web design, online marketing plus interactive media related subjects which will provide you with an understanding of employment and freelance opportunities. You will start to build the technical skills and knowledge relevant to these competitive industries through your contribution to the student magazine The Print Magazine. You will also develop marketing skills through the use of targeted Social Media campaigns.
• You will need 4 GCSEs at grade 9 - 4 (A* - C), or Level 2 UAL Diploma in Creative Media Production, Level 2 BTEC Certificate/Extended Certificate or First Diploma in Creative Media
• GCSE English language grade 9 - 4 or above (A* - C) is essential and GCSE Maths grade 9 - 4 or above (A* - C) is highly desirable
• To show at Welcome Event an interest in the media industry.In addition to the entry qualifications listed, the offer of a place on the course is subject to the outcomes of initial assessment, which will be taken at the College as part of the admissions process. Please note that entry criteria may vary quite significantly between courses at the same level. This is to take account of the specific skills needed for success on particular courses, the length of the course and the requirements for progression to the next level. Entry criteria are given as a guide, and the exact requirements in order to obtain a place on a particular course will be confirmed following attendance at a Welcome Event/Interview.
We want you to achieve to the very best of your ability at CRC. To make this happen we offer both learning and personal support by specialist staff tailored to meet your specific needs.
Course work is continually assessed by a range of methods which may include projects, assignments, case studies, course work, self-assessment, feedback from clients and panel reviews. Grades from Pass, Merit to Distinction may be awarded to course work.
The Study Programmes are over 5 days each week.
There is regular one to one tutorial provision.
We are committed to providing financial support to learners where it is available. We would actively encourage you to enquire about possible financial support as soon as you can. Depending on your situation, you may qualify for a contribution towards College costs such as kit, equipment, residential fees, meals, childcare etc. Enquiries can be made to email@example.com
This qualification helps you to progress on to:
• BA/BSc/FdA at a Higher Education institution
• apprenticeships within the wider commercial/ creative based industries and supported through Cambridge Regional College
• employment e.g. junior web design assistant
If you need any more information about any of our courses, please request a copy of our full-time prospectus or contact our Information & Advice Team on 01223 226315.
Students who currently attend a Cambridge Area Partnership school should apply online via UCASprogress.com or by using the Cambridge Area Partnership application form (depending on your school). Please ask your careers teacher at school.
Once we have received your application, you will be invited to attend a college Welcome Event, which gives you and your parents/carers the opportunity to have a look around the College, talk to the tutors and ask any questions you may have.
We look forward to seeing you at the College soon!
How to apply
You can apply for this course through UCAS Progress. Add this course to your favourites so you can start making an application.