Public Services Subsidiary Diploma BTEC Level 3 (Block D) at St John's Catholic Comprehensive School
This qualification in Public Services are targeted at those who would like to gain employment in the public services sector and has been developed to provide further training and education and progression opportunities within this sector. The qualification will develop your abilities through the knowledge and skills gained in the programme and are suitable for those who would like to know more about employment in uniformed or non-uniformed public services.
The course has been endorsed and is recognised by both Universities and employers such as The Ministry of Defence and the Navy Training Corps.
Mandatory Units -
Unit 1: Government, Policies and the Public Services
- Know the different levels of government in the UK
- Understand the democratic election process for each level of government in the UK
- Know the impact of UK government policies on the public services
- Be able to demonstrate how government policies are developed.
Unit 2: Leadership and Teamwork in Public Service
- Understand the styles of leadership and the role of a team leader
- Be able to communicate effectively to brief and debrief teams
- Be able to use appropriate skills and qualities to lead a team
- Be able to participate in teamwork activities within the public services
- Understand team development.
Unit 3: Citizenship, Diversity and the Public Services
- Understand the meanings and benefits of citizenship and diversity
- Know the legal and humanitarian rights that protect citizens and promote diversity
- Understand the role of public services in enforcing diversity and providing equality of service
- Be able to investigate current affairs, media and support
■ Additional optional Units that make up 60 credits (to be decided)
A minimum of 4 subjects at A* to C grade (Grade 4 or higher) or equivalent, with at least a Grade 4 in GCSE Maths or English or BTEC Level 2 Public Services (Merit or higher).
The new BTEC Nationals use a combination of assessment styles – both internal and external.
In each unit, you will be required to undertake various written, research and presentation tasks set and marked by Pearson and completed under supervised conditions.
You will be provided with case studies and be taught the content two weeks before a supervised assessment period in order to carry out the tasks set and achieve the required grade. You are able to gain a ‘Pass’, ‘Merit’ or ‘Distinction’ overall.
What can I do after I have completed this course?
- Undertake an apprenticeship
- School leaver programme in Public Service sectors such as the Government
- Join the Police
- Join the Armed Forces
- Join the Local Council
- Join the Ambulance Service
- Join the Fire Service
- Work in local Government
This is a two year course and no qualification will be gained if only one year is completed
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact St John's Catholic Comprehensive School directly.