Film Studies A Level at South Hunsley School and Sixth Form College
Film Studies is a fully academic A Level which has developed from the subject fields of English Literature, English Language, Media Studies, Art and History. In Film Studies, the film is analysed in terms of context, meaning and the beliefs and values that it communicates and reinforces in society. If you want to understand film at a deeper and more analytical level and experience the medium beyond just Hollywood blockbusters, then this could be the course for you.
What will I learn?
- Knowledge and understanding of a diverse range of film from different eras, genres and national cinemas, including: British film; independent film; documentary; short film; experimental film; world cinema, silent film; film movements (such as new wave); and films from the 1930's - 1990's and contemporary cinema.
- The significance of film across national, global, historical, social, political, cultural and technological contexts.
- The way that films generate different meanings and responses in audiences.
- The ability to analyse, discuss and understand film as an aesthetic medium.
- How to apply critical approaches to films, such as feminist film theory and auteurship.
- How to demonstrate and apply your knowledge and understanding of film via practical filmmaking projects.
- Deepen your understanding and appreciation of film from across different eras, genres and cultures
- Study the social, historical, political and economic contexts of film
- Develop your skills of observation, critical analysis and personal reflection
- Learn creative and practical film production skills
You should have an interest in film, and be willing to study the medium beyond the genres, cultures and eras that you may currently be most familiar with. At both AS and A Level, 70% of assessment is via examination of practical work.
- Film and TV Production
- Journalism, writing and broadcasting
- Advertising, marketing and communications
- Cultural industries
- College and university lecturing
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact South Hunsley School and Sixth Form College directly.