Health & Social Care: Level 3 Study Programme at Ashton Park School
Why study Health & Social Care?
• The Health and Social Care sector is a major employer of almost 4 million people in the UK, many of which are highly skilled with another 1.7 million job openings expected by 2020
• By studying a BTEC National in Health & Social Care you will develop knowledge, understanding and skills required by employers and apply them in real work contexts.
What’s it all about?
• This qualification is equivalent in size to one A Level when studied in 1 year or two A Levels if studied over 2 years and is split into units
• Each unit focuses on a different topic or skill enabling you to develop a significant common core of knowledge of Health & Social Care
• Assessment will be external (paper based exam of two units, set and marked by Edexcel) and internal (assignment based evidence, set and marked by your teachers)
• You are also required to study personal and professional development, which requires a minimum of 100 hours in placement within health and social care settings, when completing the two year course.
When will I be assessed?
• External assessment will take place twice during the course, usually November and June
• Internal assessment uses Pass, Merit and Distinction grading criteria and takes place continuously throughout the course, this allows you to receive feedback on your progress with an opportunity to improve your portfolio
• Internal assessment uses assignment based activities to generate evidence including project work, case studies, work place assessments, role play and oral presentation.
What could it lead to?
• This qualification enables you to become occupationally ready to take up employment in the health and social care sector either directly after achieving the qualification, or via the stepping stone of Higher Education (HE) in university or college
• Universities have individually confirmed that this qualification fulfills their entry requirements when achieved alongside other qualifications.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Ashton Park School directly.