Physical Education: A Level at Ashton Park School
Why study Physical Education?
• It will help develop techniques required to perform effectively in physical activity
• To apply and adapt a wide range of skills and techniques effectively in a range of physical activities
• Apply skills in different contexts within a physical activity.
What’s it all about?
Developing theoretical knowledge and understanding of the factors that underpin physical activity and sport and use this knowledge to improve performance
Understanding how physiological and psychological states affect performance
Understanding the key socio-cultural factors that influence people’s involvement in physical activity and sport
Understanding the role of technology in physical activity and sport
Refining your ability to perform effectively in physical activity and sport by developing skills and techniques and selecting and using tactics, strategies and/or compositional ideas
Developing your ability to analyse and evaluate to improve performance
Understanding the contribution which physical activity makes to health and fitness.
When will I be assessed?
• OCR’s AS Level in Physical Education consists of two components that are externally assessed and one component that is assessed by the centre and externally moderated by OCR
• OCR’s A Level in Physical Education consists of three components that are externally assessed and one component that is internally assessed by the centre and externally moderated by OCR.
1. Physiological factors affecting performance
2. Psychological factors affecting performance
3. Socio-cultural issues in physical activity and sport will be assessed using a mixture of objective response, short and medium length
3b. Assessment objectives (AO) answers and extended response items.
What could it lead to?
• A Level PE provides a suitable foundation for specialist study in both Physical Education and Sports Studies in Higher Education
• The course provides an excellent foundation for candidates intending to pursue careers in teaching and coaching, sports development, the leisure industry, recreational management, and professional sport.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Ashton Park School directly.