Travel and Tourism at Downham Market Academy
WHY CHOOSE TRAVEL AND TOURISM?
Travel and Tourism is one of the biggest and fastest growing industries in the world. In the UK it supports nearly 2 million jobs, is worth £115 billion a year and there are over 200 000 businesses covering a wide range of interests.
So, you can see tourism is a wide and diverse industry. If you live by the sea you’ll be used to the tourists flocking to the beach every summer to brave the often disappointing British weather; if you live in a city, you’ll, probably be used to seeing tourists wondering around looking at their maps looking lost, and you have probably been a tourist yourself at one time or another.
The point is, travel and tourism is an exciting global industry with many varied career opportunities.
ARE YOU INTERESTED IN....?
- Travelling and visiting new places
- Meeting and working with people
- Working and living abroad
- Organising events
- Eco tourism and protecting the environment
If so, tourism could be the industry for you.
WHAT SKILLS MIGHT I DEVELOP BY STUDYING TOURISM?
- Good communication skills
- Team working skills
- Leadership skills
- Customer service skills
- Time management skills
- Research skills
- Independent study skills
- Problem solving skills
HOW CAN I STUDY TOURISM AT DOWNHAM MARKET ACADEMY SIXTH FORM?
- BTEC SUBSIDIARY DIPLOMA LEVEL 3 IN TRAVEL AND TOURISM
This course is equivalent to one A level. Students study six units including: Investigating Travel and Tourism, The UK as a Destination, The Business of Travel and Tourism, Customer Service and Long Haul Destinations.
The course helps students develop the practical knowledge skills and understanding for a career in the Travel and Tourism Industry. The course is currently all course - work based but is being re launched nationally in September 2016 and will include an element of external assessment.
WHERE CAN TOURISM TAKE ME?
- A range of career opportunities including working with tourist boards, events management, visitor attr actions, travel agents, airlines, airports, tour operators in the UK and overseas, hotels and holiday centres
- Combined with other subjects, tourism is a good base for many vocationally based degree courses specialising in tourism and business related courses such as Hotel Management, Cruise Management, Adventure Tourism and International tourism.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Downham Market Academy directly.