AS and A Level: Chemistry at Loughborough College
The course provides a challenging and interesting introduction to the discipline of chemistry at an advanced level.
This course is suited to students who wish to pursue a career in medicine, the pharmaceutical industry, environmental areas, engineering, or the chemical industries. It also develops the skills of analysis and enquiry, which are invaluable for a wide range of careers.
Year 1 covers:
- Physical Chemistry: atomic structure, amount of substance, bonding, kinetics, equilibria, and redox reactions
- Inorganic Chemistry: periodicity, group 2 chemistry, and group 7 chemistry
- Organic Chemistry: organic compounds and isomerism, alkanes, halo-alkanes, alkenes, alcohols, and organic analysis.
- Practical Skills: experiments are designed to improve practical competence and introduce the student to a wide variety of techniques
Year 2 covers:
- Physical Chemistry: thermodynamics, further kinetics and equilibria, electrode potentials and electrochemical cells, acids, bases, and buffers
- Inorganic chemistry: periodicity, transition metals, and reactions of inorganic compounds
- Organic Chemistry: stereoisomerism, carbonyl chemistry, aromatic chemistry, amines, amino-acids, DNA, organic synthesis and analysis, structure determination, and chromatography
- Practical Skills: building on Year 1 with more complexity and challenging analysis and evaluation
- GCSE Maths and Science (double Science or two ‘traditional’ Sciences) at grade 6
- All Loughborough Sixth Form College courses have minimum entry requirements of at least five GCSEs at grade C/4 or above, including English Language and Maths.
To find out more about this qualification, visit us at an Open Day, email email@example.com or call 01509 618375.
How to apply
You can apply for this course through UCAS Progress. Add this course to your favourites so you can start making an application.