Computing AQA A Level at Cotham School
Science, technology, manufacturing, research, medicine – you name it, computers figure in all our lives; influencing and affecting everything we do. There is a world out there just bursting with invention and opportunities. And nearly all of it is driven by a computer. This is your chance to learn the science behind computer technology and how to program your own computer applications.
“Whether you want to uncover the secrets of the universe, or you just want to pursue a career in the 21st century, basic computer programming is an essential skill to learn.” – Stephen Hawking
What will you learn?
The aims of this qualification are to enable you to develop:
- An understanding of and ability to apply the fundamental principles and concepts of computer science including; abstraction, decomposition, logic, algorithms and data representation
- The ability to analyse problems in computational terms through practical experience of solving such problems including writing programs to do so
- The capacity for thinking creatively, innovatively, analytically, logically and critically
- The capacity to see relationships between different aspects of computer science
- Mathematical skills
- The ability to articulate the individual (moral), social (ethical), legal and cultural opportunities and risks of digital technology.
What learning and teaching methods will be used?
A wide variety of teaching methods will be used, including teacher-led introduction activities, group collaborative work, research tasks, video tutorials and individual work on coursework tasks and projects.
- GCSE Grade 6 in Maths.
- ICT / iGCSE ICT Grade 4 is an advantage
Unit 1 - Algorithms & Problem Solving
40% of A Level, 2hr 30mins, on screen examination
Unit 2 - Computing Principles
40% of A Level, 2hr 30mins, written examination
Unit 3 – Computing Practical Project
20% of A-level, Internally Assessed Coursework
Career paths include: Programming, Software Engineering, Computer Science, Computer Forensics, Computer Game Development, Industrial Development and Medical Research and more.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Cotham School directly.