Applied Diploma in Medical Science Level 3 at LAT16 Wilmington Academy
This qualification deals with the maintenance of health and the prevention and treatment of diseases. It is suitable for students looking for careers in healthcare and medical research.
- To acquire knowledge, understanding and skills in key scientific principles to support progress to higher education or employment in areas of medical science, e.g. jobs in physiological science or clinical laboratory services.
- To become both effective and confident users of technology in order to move onto a more advanced study of medical science or employment.
- To provide a framework and specific content through which students may address spritual, moral, ethical, social and cultural issues which aims to help the understanding of underlying causes of desease.
There are 6 mandatory units:
Unit 1: Human health & disease - externally assessed via a written exam. (25%)
Unit 2: Physiological measurement techniques - internally marked written assessment (12.5%)
Unit 3: Medical Science research methods - internally marked written assessment (12.5%)
Unit 4: Medicines & treatment of disease - internally marked written assessment (25%)
Unit 5: Clinical laboratory techniques - internally marked written assessment (12.5%)
Unit 6: Medical case study - externally assessed via written exam (12.5%)
Minimum of 5 9-4 grades in GCSE Examinations including English and Maths.
The specification uses two types of external assessment:
1. Written examinations for unit 1 and unit 6
2. An externally set and marked, task based assessment for unit 5
For further information on this course please contact:
How to apply
You can apply for this course through UCAS Progress. Add this course to your favourites so you can start making an application.