Business A level at Haileybury Turnford School
The A - level Business course introduces you to all you need to know about working in business, providing a solid foundation for further study. You will be communicating and explaining ideas, exploring and presenting alternative courses of action, thinking strategically and making decisions, working with numbers to solve business problems, keeping up to date with national and international business news and learning about the world of business through research and investigation.With a focus on helping you to become a good decision maker, you’ll learn essential managerial skills, alongside techniques to help you become an analytical problem solver. These skills are all highly sought after and valued in a wide range of careers.
· In Theme 1 you will learn about dynamic markets, social media and online retailing, innovation and entrepreneurship.
· Theme 2 introduces you to business finance, the impact of economic uncertainty on businesses and the competitive environment.
· In Theme 3 you will moving from functions to strategy, exploring business decision-making, small business survival, managing change and scenario planning.
· Theme 4 explores global business, investigating overseas markets, cultural and social differences and the impact of multinationals.
You will need a minimum of 5 A*-C grades at GCSE including a level 5 in English and a level 5 in Maths. You don’t need to have studied Business at GCSE to do the A level – you will be introduced to all the core content. It is more important that you are interested in business, you might want to start your own business one day, be interested in the world around you, explore how businesses work and consider the challenges businesses face.
Where will it take me?
· Business prepares you for progression to further study or the world of work:
· Transferable skills like making decisions, solving problems, numerical skills, understanding the business environment and commercial awareness are relevant to university and employment
· You might want to study a degree in business management, accountancy, tourism management or international business
· You might progress to a career in banking, sales, product management or for charity
· There are many possibilities!
· If you have any questions about the qualification, then please do not hesitate to contact the Business Department.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Haileybury Turnford School directly.