Animal Management- Level 2 Technical Diploma - Plumpton at Plumpton College
Do you love animals? Are you looking to work with them in a cattery, kennel, pet shop or rescue centre?
If you’re leaving school or college, we’ve got a fantastic course for you at Plumpton where you’ll learn about household pets, exotics and large animals.
You can look forward to loads of practical hands-on experience with our different animals here on-site, plus learning all the theory you’ll need to be successful in your future role.
This course is designed to give you some experience of animal care, working with household pets, exotics, and large animals. You will spend one day a week on work experience, with three or four days at College divided between practical and theory sessions.
The course is ideal for those wishing to develop a career in kennels, catteries, pet shops and rescue centres, or to progress onto the Subsidiary Diploma or Extended Diploma in Animal Management for those with Distinction grades.
You can look forward to a varied programme of modules that also includes a work placement. You’ll also continue your English and Maths up to GCSE level. Modules include:
- Maintaining animal accommodation
- Practical animal feeding
- Conservation and improvement of British habitats
- Animal health and welfare
- Basic principles of animal biology
- Work experience in the animal care industry
- Nursing of animals
- Employment Skills
- English & Maths GCSEs and Functional Skills are also delivered and assessed throughout the programme
- You’ll need to have achieved 3 GCSEs between Grade A-D (new grades 9-3)
- Successful completion of a Level 1 course in another area, having studied English and Maths at GCSE
- Mature students without the above requirements will be considered
- 16-18 exempt
- 16-18 exempt
- Cost for day students- £120 per year
- Cost for residential students- £200 per year
The facility fee is applicable to all our full time FE students and this is paid annually before you arrive for your enrolment and induction. This fee assists in providing non-educational facilities which include security, sports amenities, membership of the Sports and Social Club, minibuses, Wi Fi access, television room, on-site medical support and free car parking subject to availability.
For students ages 19 plus please contact Admissions for further fee information:
Following satisfactory completion of the programme, at Distinction Level students may progress to the following programme:
- BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Animal Management (2 years) (180 credits)
- BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma in Animal Management (60 credits)
Alternatively, students might gain employment in areas such as:
- Rescue Centres
- Pet Shops
Course duration is 4 days per week for 1 year. An additional day for English and Maths may be required.
You’ve got a fantastic animal management unit to discover here at Plumpton where you’ll be able to experience the latest technology and equipment. Each of the different animals requires a certain level of care so you’ll be able to experience managing different environments.
- All types of animal care management
We cater for an extensive range of animals: from amphibians to birds, fish to livestock, mammals to reptiles.
- Extensive farming facilities for you to discover
You’ll be able to develop invaluable practical handling skills at our Plumpton College farm site which manages a huge range of livestock.
- The perfect learning environment for your studies
We’ve got great facilities for you to work in and develop your practical skills no matter what course you’re studying.
How to apply
You can apply for this course through UCAS Progress. Add this course to your favourites so you can start making an application.