English Language - A Level at Hanley Castle High School
- gain an understanding of child language acquisition and the dynamics of speech in its social context
- learn how to plan and produce an extended study exploring audience and purpose, taking into account cultural contexts
- gain a deeper understanding of variations of language by exploring dialect, culture, power and identity
- learn to compare and analyse Media texts and create your own writing
- learn to employ linguistic frameworks and terminology in analysing varieties of English
A minimum of grade C at GCSE in English and English Literature, preferably with a grade B in English, and strong recommendation from your current English teacher.
Students with A level English Language have a wide range of possible career and higher education opportunities. Skills learned include writing for a variety of purposes, responding to texts, expressing informed and independent opinions and identifying links between different parts of the subject. These skills are in demand from employers, universities and colleges as well as being valuable in their own right. English Language can be studied as a single subject in higher education, or combined with a wide variety of other subjects. Many students will also use their qualification to go straight into employment rather than higher education. A very wide range of occupations is open to students with A level in English Language and can include the opportunity to receive further training in areas such as journalism, the media or the law.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Hanley Castle High School directly.