Physical Education - A Level at Hanley Castle High School
Advanced level Physical Education would suit a student who has a keen interest in sport and who is committed to attaining high standards in their work. Students will study the following topics:
- Applied anatomy and physiology - develop knowledge and understanding of the changes within the body systems prior to exercise, during exercise of differing intensities and during recovery.
- Skill acquisition - how skill is acquired and the impact of psychological factors on performance. Knowledge and understanding of the principles required to optimise learning of new, and the development of existing skills.
- Sport and society - develop knowledge and understanding of the interaction between and the evolution of, sport and society.
- Exercise physiology – understand the adaptations to the body systems through training or lifestyle and how these changes affect the efficiency of those systems.
- Biomechanical movement - develop knowledge and understanding of motion and forces, and their relevance to performance in physical activity and sport.
- Sport psychology - develop knowledge and understanding of the role of sport psychology in optimising performance in physical activity and sport
- Role of technology in sport - develop knowledge and understanding of the technological developments in physical activity and sport.
B grades in GCSE PE and Science are a minimum requirement for students studying this course.
This course is recognised by all universities as an academic Advanced level qualification. Students in previous years have used this course to lead to careers in PE. Areas such as teaching, leisure and recreation, physiotherapy, sports coaching, sports psychology and fitness trainer have all been pursued. Other students have used it as an additional qualification to demonstrate to universities their interest and enthusiasm beyond the boundaries of traditional subjects.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Hanley Castle High School directly.