Hospitality and Catering Principles (Professional Cookery) NCFE Certificate (Level 3) at Wrotham School
This is a two year course which will result in the NCFE Level 3 Certificate qualification, which is the equivalent of a single A Level.
This course can be taken as a stand-alone vocational subject with a combination of other level 3 courses (including A levels) or as one of the vocational options for the IBCP (International Baccalaureate Career-related Pathway).
This qualification aims to allow learners to develop the underpinning knowledge and understanding for working in a professional cooking environment, such as maintaining health, safety and security in the hospitality working environment and develop productive working relationships with colleagues. Learners will also understand how to take personal responsibility for food safety, keeping themselves clean and hygienic as well as work areas.
Unit 1 – Health, safety and security in the hospitality
Unit 2 – Development of working relationships in hospitality
Unit 3 – Food Safety in catering
The school will choose 6 units from the options below. Exact options to be confirmed:
- Unit 4 - Preparation, cooking and finishing of meat dishes
- Unit 5 - Preparation, cooking and finishing of hot sauces
- Unit 6 - Preparation, cooking and finishing of poultry dishes
- Unit 7 - Preparation, cooking and finishing of dressings and cold sauces Unit 8 - Preparation, cooking and finishing of vegetable dishes
- Unit 9 - Preparation, cooking and finishing of fish dishes
- Unit 10 - The principles of food safety supervision for catering
- Unit 11- Principles of preparing, cooking and finishing complex soups
- Unit 12 - Principles of preparing, cooking and finishing complex cold desserts
- Unit 13 - Principles of preparing, cooking and presenting complex cold products
- Unit 14 - Principles of preparing, cooking and finishing complex hot desserts
- Unit 15 - Principles of preparing, cooking and finishing fresh pasta dishes
- Unit 16 - Principles of preparing, cooking and finishing complex cakes, sponges, biscuits and scones
A merit in the level 2 qualification in NCFE Food and Cookery, or a grade 6 in GCSE Food Preparation and Nutrition
Students complete a portfolio of evidence for each unit completed. All units are internally assessed and externally moderated. 100% coursework.
This qualification aims to provide learners with a number of progression options, including higher level studies at university or FE colleges. The skills required to progress to higher academic studies are different from those required at Levels 1 and 2. Level 3 qualifications enable the development of these skills
Specific qualifications that earners who achieve this qualification could progress to:
· NCFE Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Professional Cookery
· NCFE Level 3 Award in Hospitality Supervision and Leadership Principles
· NCFE Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Hospitality Supervision and Leadership
· Level 4 Diploma in Hospitality Management
· Level 4 Diploma in Principles of Hospitality Management
· Level 4 Diploma in Advanced Hospitality and Tourism Management
As with any level 3 qualification, there is an increased demand for students to work independently. Students, therefore, must expect to study outside of lesson time and will be expected to work for approximately five hours a week outside of lessons in order to complete the work to the required grades for most universities and higher apprenticeships.
How to apply
You can apply for this course through UCAS Progress. Add this course to your favourites so you can start making an application.