BTEC Level 3 National Diploma in Health and Social Care (Pearson) at Hampton Sixth Form
The BTEC Level 3 Diploma in Health and Social Care course is ideal for students who wish to become occupationally ready to take up employment in the health and social care sector. This can follow either directly after achieving the qualification, or via the stepping stone of Higher Education (HE) in university or college, learners develop knowledge, understanding and skills required by the sector, including essential employability skills, and apply them in real work contexts. Learners can operate at a standard that can reasonably be expected of an 18 year old in full-time education.
This course will also involve a placement element in industry. It is important that you have a lively and enquiring mind, an interest in working with people and an ability to communicate your ideas effectively.
This course is designed to enable students to:
- Gain a broad understanding of health, social care and early years provision
- An awareness of how the health and social care sector meets the needs of its clients
- Gain an understanding of the current developments taking place in the health and social care sector
The Diploma qualification will cover a series of mandatory and optional units:
- Developing Effective Communication in Health and Social Care
- Equality, Diversity and Rights in Health and Social Care
- Health, Safety and Security in Health and Social Care
- Development Through the Life Stages
- Anatomy and Physiology for Health and Social Care
- Personal and Professional Development in Health and Social Care
- Sociological Perspectives for Health and Social Care
- Psychological perspectives
- Caring for Children and Young People
- Nutrition for Health and Social Care
- Public Health
- Physiological Disorders
These are some examples, more options available depending on cohort requirements.
This course covers the key knowledge and practical skills required in this vocational sector. The BTEC Level 3 Diploma is equivalent in size to two A Levels.
The BTEC Level 3 Diploma offers an engaging programme for those who are clear about the area of employment that they wish to enter. At present the course assessment is coursework based. Following your success of studying Health and Social Care, you are awarded one of four different levels: Pass (equivalent to an E grade at A Level), Merit (equivalent to a C), Distinction (equivalent to an A) or Distinction* (equivalent to an A*). You must pass each unit to achieve the BTEC Diploma in Health & Social Care.
The general Sixth Form entry requirements i.e. six A*-C (or equivalent) ideally including English and Maths at grade 4 or above. You do not need to have studied Health and Social Care before to choose this course. This is a demanding course and therefore candidates will need to have exemplary time management and independent working skills..
- Assessment will be from 12 units over the two years, 8 are mandatory
- 4 units will be optional units
The Pearson BTEC Level 3 Diploma is primarily an Applied General qualification, equivalent in size to two A levels
Possible career paths for students taking the BTEC Level 3 Diploma, Health Visitor, Health Care Assistant, Physiotherapist, Social Worker, Counsellor, Care Worker, Nursing, Sports Physiotherapy, Primary school teacher, Speech Therapist, Pharmacist, to name a few
This course links particularly well with Biology, Psychology, English, History, PE and Sociology
Contact Mrs Clarke, Sixth Form Supervisor, or email her at email@example.com
How to apply
You can apply for this course through UCAS Progress. Add this course to your favourites so you can start making an application.