Computer Science A-level PED at Invictus Sixth Form
• Focus on programming, building on our GCSE Computing and emphasise the importance of computational thinking as a discipline.
• Have an expanded maths focus, much of which will be embedded within the course.
• Put computational thinking at its core, helping students to develop the skills to solve problems, design systems and understand human and machine intelligence.
• Allow student to apply the academic principles learned in the classroom to real world systems in an exciting and engaging manner.
• Give students a clear progression into higher education, as the course was designed after consultation with members of BCS, CAS and top universities.
Specific Entry Requirements for this course (in addition to at least 5 Grade 5s Inc. English and Maths): 5 or better in Computer Science/ICT would be an advantage (though not essential). Aptitude for problem solving. A score of less than 5, if the Computer Science qualification was taken, may indicate that the candidate will be unable to make progress with the A Level.
Computer systems (01) 2 hours and 30 minutes 40%
Algorithms and programming (02*) 2 hours and 30 minutes NON-CALCULATOR 40%
Programming project (03*) Non examined assessment (Centre marked, board moderated) 20 %
Computer Science is not currently a requirement for entry on Higher education courses as the GCSE has not yet bedded in and not all schools currently offer it. This situation may change soon as the GCSE embeds. Also, as places on courses come under pressure, this may become a requirement in the near future.
A Level Computer Science would indicate to an employer that a prospective employee already has an ability in this subject, above and beyond ICT or IT use.
The main growth areas of employment in Computer Science are currently robotics and cyber- security. Many employers look for qualifications that are at a higher level than A Level, with experience.
How to apply
You can apply for this course through UCAS Progress. Add this course to your favourites so you can start making an application.